Friday, November 11, 2011

What's in a Word?

EGO. When I think of that word, Freud does not necessarily leap to mind. What I think about is generally negative - "oh, s/he's got quite the ego, doesn't s/he?" That sort of thing, said, of course in a disparaging way.

I mentioned in one of my coaching calls something about my ego getting in my way, and wise Coach Peggy thought about that for a second, and then, in her loving way, questioned my sanity about the whole ego thing.

The primary definition of EGO, according to dictionary.com, is thus: "The “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought."

Well, that sounds pretty okay. And look at this definition:
"(often initial capital letter) Philosophy.
a. The enduring and conscious element that knows experience.
b. Scholasticism. the complete person comprising both body and soul."

Whoa.

So, if EGO is the complete person comprising both body and soul, and I say my ego is getting in my way, I guess what I'm really saying is that I am getting in my way.

Gotta think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment